Featured Photo

Featured Photo
Ethiopian Rock Church


My latest images for sale at Shutterstock:

My most popular images for sale at Shutterstock:

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Cleopatra's Daughter

Cleopatra's DaughterCleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book has the distinction of being completed in a cafe in Buenos Aires and also of having been kindly sent to me personaly by the author, the charmingly unassuming Michelle Moran. I have to say she did warn me that it was the most Young Adult of her books, and I suppose that was my biggest challenge with it. That sounds disparaging of that very popular genre of books, but Ive never really identified too much with books from a childs point of view. I did find the dialogue at times a little bit Harry Potter in ancient Rome. Having said that, the book was clearly extremely well researched and the story of what happened to the children of Cleopatra and Marc Antony after their parents suicide totally fascinating. It was a brutal time. I havnt really read much other ancient Roman based fiction or non-fiction so it was actually quite educational for me. I really enjoyed the non-fiction afterward too and it did make me want to get back into non-fiction historical biographies.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Medinet Habu Temple, Luxor